The right time is all the time to have a conversation about domestic violence.~Hotline.org
Domestic Violence is an epidemic that is killing both women and men. Some are lucky to survive such as myself, however you still have to deal with the pain and scars of dealing with such a horrible relationship. No one should have to live in fear and everyone should be treated with respect. Everyone should be FEARLESS.
The fact and sad truth about intimate partner abuse is disheartening. Domestic Violence and intimate partner abuse is a problem that needs to be addressed not only in October but all year long.
- Most cases of domestic violence are never reported to police. (3)
- 1 in 4 women will experience domestic violence during her lifetime. (1)
- 3 women are murdered every day by a current or former male partner in the U.S. (1)
- Women are more likely to be killed by an intimate partner than men. (1)
- 70% of women worldwide will experience physical and/or sexual abuse by an intimate partner during their lifetimes. (1)
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
- 19.3 million women and 5.1 million men in the United States have been stalked in their lifetime. 60.8% of female stalking victims and 43.5% men reported being stalked by a current or former intimate partner. (2)
- 72% of all murder-suicides involve an intimate partner; 94% of the victims of these murder suicides are female. (2)
- The most common age when intimate partner violence is first experienced by women is age 18-24 (38.6%), followed by age 11-17 (22.4%), age 35-44 (6.8%) and age 45+ (2.5%). For men the most common age is age 18-24 (47.1%), followed by age 25-34 (30.6%), age 11-17 (15.0%), age 35-44 (10.3%) and age 45+ (5.5%)(3)
- 2 in 5 gay or bisexual men will experience intimate partner violence in their lifetimes. (2)
- 10,000,000 children are exposed to domestic violence every year. (4)
- Nearly 20 people per minute are victims of physical violence by an intimate partner in the United States. (4)
- 81% of women who are being stalked by a current or a former male intimate partner are also being physically abused by that person. (4)
- A woman who leaves her abusive partner is 70 times more likely to be murdered than at any other time in that relationship. (4)
- Women who are the victims of domestic violence are 8 times more likely to be killed by an intimate partner if there happens to be a firearm in the home. (4)
- The number one cause of death for African American women ages 15-34 according to the American Bar Association: homicide at the hands of a partner. (4)
- 85% of domestic violence victims are female, and 15% are male. (4)
- Approximately 63% of homeless women have experienced domestic violence in their adult lives. (5)
- 28% of families were homeless because of domestic violence. (5)
- Nearly half of all women and men in the US will experience psychological aggression by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
The statistics are very alarming. We must do all we can to protect everyone from any form of abuse. If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, call The National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−7233 or visit their website to chat online 24/7.
Sources and References: